National Safety Month was introduced in June of 1996. The intentions of the recognition are to draw attention to safety at home, in the workplace, they gym, and everywhere else.
What does National Safety Month have to do with fitness? Regular physical activity is essential for good health. Whether you're running or cycling down Main Street, or you're in the zone breaking personal bests at the gym, it can never hurt to keep safety in mind for safe, maximum workout gains and progress.
- warm up and properly stretch
- use the right gear for workouts
- wear proper shoes for running
- drink a lot of water
- use the proper equipment for any exercises
Don't forget. We all compete at different levels. You have no one to “beat” but your own personal bests. When pushing yourself to the next level make sure to keep the following in mind.
- Do you have any injury history to keep in mind? Injuries need rest. “Working through” an injury can often do the opposite and extend your downtime.
- Is a spotter or specialist needed to support you in going to the next level?
- Is any particular diet of consideration?
- Is the next level, velocity, or degree of danger safe in what you're pursuing?
When you're ready to take it to the next level make sure you do so with the proper equipment and patience. That way you'll progress, make gains, and quickly be looking forward to the next level's next level. What do you want to B? Go get it!